IPOH: Former Perak executive council member Paul Yong who was accused of raping his former Indonesian maid more than two years ago has been ordered by a High Court here to enter his defence.
Judge Datuk Abdul Wahab Mohamed ruled that there was a prima facie case against the Tronoh assemblyman after taking into consideration all the evidence given throughout the trial.
Yong was ordered to enter his defence on Feb 15 and 16.
“After taking into consideration all the submissions and exhibits, the accused is hereby ordered to enter his defence,” he said.
Yong has chosen to give his statement under oath.
The case was prosecuted by state prosecution director Azlina Rashdi, while Yong was represented by lead defence counsel Datuk Rajpal Singh and Salim Bashir.
On Aug 23, 2019, Yong claimed trial at the Ipoh Sessions Court to a charge of raping his then 23-year-old maid.
The offence was allegedly committed in a room on the top floor of his house in Meru Desa Park on July 7 that year, between 8.15pm and 9.15pm.
He was charged under Section 376 (1) of the Penal Code, which carries a term of imprisonment for up to 20 years and is liable to whipping, if found guilty.
On Dec 15 last year, the Federal Court had allowed an application by the defence team to transfer the case to the High Court.
Paul Yong’s rape trial: Two unknown mixed profile DNA samples taken from crime scene, court told
No semen stains found on clothing and other exhibits, expert tells Paul Yong rape trial
Paul Yong rape trial: CCTV footage shows woman leaving residential area a day after alleged incident